Wednesday, October 21, 2009

No, Creed and Limp Bizkit Still Suck


Jonah Weiner of Slate.com thinks it's time we reassess alt-rockers Creed and give them their due (Weiner is a repeat offender and has made the same claim about Limp Bizkit). I would argue that it's too soon. I will confess that I enjoyed the song "My Own Prison" at the time. It was a dark, grungy ditty that paired well with the woes of high school. However, after that they lost me with the rest of that album and all their followups. In fact, rock and roll doesn't get much more ridiculous than "Higher." Weiner is correct in saying that:
Along with Limp Bizkit (who made fun of Creed, too), Stapp and Co. are remembered today as poster boys for a turn-of-the-century musical nightmare we're happily past.
We should leave that nightmare in the past. The late 90's was a terrible period in popular music. The charts were ruled by boy bands and über-macho neanderthal rap-metal. I know some day Creed and all the other shitty bands of that era will come back into vogue, but lets at least hope that it's in the same form the hair-metal bands of the late 80's (Creed and Limp Bizkit's developmentally challenged forefathers) did, and that is that they are only allowed in the name of irony or at strip clubs.

EDIT: Matt Yglesias had the best line about this story today:
I bet al-Qaeda plays [Creed] to recruits in order to whip them into an anti-Christian fervor.

1 comment:

  1. It's all about Alter Bridge. I can't wait for THAT reunion.

    ReplyDelete