Wednesday, September 23, 2009

In Defense of Palin

For my first post for the Daily Ire, I'd like to take a shot at the Daily Kos's Markos Moulitsas while defending Sarah Palin. A week or so ago Mr. Moulitsas was a guest on Countdown with Keith Olbermann, a show that I'm not the biggest fan of in the first place. (At least Bill O'Reilly has guests who disagree with him, even if it's just to scream at them and cut their mics.) While on the show, Moulitsas took a pot shot at Palin, criticizing her for not supervising her children. While I'm not in any sense a fan of Palin, I winced at that comment. Such critiques should be out-of-bounds when attacking one's political opponents, unless it somehow highlights a hypocrisy. To my knowledge, Palin has not evidenced any such hypocrisy in this area. Moreover, her kids seem to be both well-adjusted and well-behaved. Having sex and getting pregnant, as I hope my liberal brethren will agree, is not a moral failing.

If you hope to raise the level of discourse, to bring people to your side, to show leadership for the liberal movement, making a classless comment like this is not doing you any favors.

No comments:

Post a Comment