Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Iiiiiinteresting

I little while ago I remarked about the Levi's ad using a recording of Walt Whitman's voice reading his poem "America." Apparently this ad, along with the "O Pioneers!" ad were directed by Cary Fukunaga, director of the excellent film Sin Nombre. The more I see these ads the more I like them. They are a reminder that advertising, while usually shallow, can serve as a great medium for artistic expression. Throughout history most great paintings and sculptures were commissioned by rich people, so what's wrong with them being commissioned by big corporations? Hell this is a good way for a director to earn money to finance more personal projects.

1 comment:

  1. I remember the first time I saw the "O Pioneers!" ad, I turned to Ms. Burke, who happened to be sitting next to me at the time, and I told her it was the best commercial I've ever seen. Shortly thereafter, you did your first post on it and it's refreshing to know who directed them.

    ReplyDelete